Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Documentary : Start!

I’ve finally collected my ideas for the next documentary. It will focus on the plight of foreign domestic workers in Cyprus. (Labour exploitation)
Have to write the premise (mission statement) or synopsis at some point.

Through a series of interviews I plan to investigate: (to name a few)

  • Why are foreign domestic workers continuously being exploited?
  • How are their rights protected?
  • How do they contribute to the economic growth of the country?
  • When is the Cypriot government planning to change its immigration policy?
  • Why are foreign domestic workers still being paid CYP150 a month?
  • … and what is EU’s role on the matter?

I will also try to reflect other working classes such as Factory workers, Farm workers and Sex workers for they all share similar situations; isolation, social exclusion, low wages, long working hours, sexual favours, harassment, racism, work exhaustion, etc.

From my readings, I’ve come up with a list of possible players that I’d like to include in the documentary. There are approximately 20 people on my list; excluding the odd number of domestic workers I’d like to interview as well. Since I haven’t got the luxury of time, I’ll have to knock down that number and settle on focusing the lens to “key” speakers. I will be meeting Doros Polycarpou (President of KISA) tomorrow to get his input/suggestions on my approach.

I better start shooting as soon as possible. Hope to complete video shooting by the end of March, and come up with a documentary by the end of April.
Below is a brainstorming diagram I’ve been using lately.



Would appreciate any comments/suggestions you may have.
To post a comment click on “comment”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home